||M.Sc. Forestry Extension
Forestry in Indo-Pak has been practiced for nearly two centuries on more or less on scientific lines. But the resources of Pakistan Forests are limited and the country has to import timber and wood products. Today, there is growing demand for wood due to industrialization, increase in population growth with rising standard for living and better environment. Therefore, M.Sc Forestry Extension looks into issues of resource degradation, impact of decreasing resources on rural communities, bio-diversity, global climate, and highlights the factors which lead to change, both planned and spontaneous. The role of extension in the management of forest and tree resource is becoming increasingly important. It is being recognized by the foresters and other professionals involved in the forestry and environment sectors. At present not a single institution in the country is offering Forestry Extension program at postgraduate level. Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad is therefore, the pioneer in this regard to offer this program. Objectives: The general objectives of this program area as follows: 1). To develop greater understanding of the role of forest and tree in the context of changing environment. 2). To achieve sustainability in agriculture forestry and other rural land uses. 3). To develop approaches which optimize the involvement of communities in extension process for forest and other natural resource management and for their own development. 4). To develop understanding of the existing approaches. 5). To develop linkage with other institutions like forest projects etc.
Candidates possessing B. Sc
M. Sc Forestry degree with at least second division
B.Sc (Hons) Agriculture or M. Sc (Hons) Agriculture with at least 02nd division from national (OR) international recognized institutions or B. Sc
MSc in Botany with at least 2nd division with three years field experience in Forestry is eligible for admission.
All eligible candidates will be granted Admission subject to fulfilling Eligibility criteria.
|Medium of Instruction:
The University allots Study Centre and Tutors for the Students to get guideline accordingly. A student has to secure passing marks in Assignments as well as in final exams to successfully complete concerned Educational Programme.
|AIOU Credits Required:
||60 Credits Hours
1. PRINCIPLES OF RURAL SOCIOLOGY -I-2500
2. RANGE LAND MANAGEMENT IN PAKISTAN-2501
3. TREE MANAGEMENT-2502
4. PRINCIPLES OF RURAL SOCIOLOGY-II-2512
1. RESEARCH METHODS-2504
2. SOIL CONSERVATION & WATER SHED MANAGEMENT-2511
3. ENVIRONMENT & FORESTRY-2516
1. DIFFUSION OF INNOVATION-2505
2. FORESTRY EXTENSION EDUCATION-2507
3. AGRO- FORESTRY-2510
4. APPROACHES OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT-2514
1. PARTICIPATORY FORESTRY-2503
2. MASS COMMUNICATION-2506
3. ECONOMICS OF FORESTRY-2508
4. SOCIAL & COMMUNITY FORESTRY-2509
||· Pakistan Agriculture Research Council
· Pakistan Institute of Forestry and Livestock Management National Agriculture Research Institute, Islamabad
· Pakistan Forest Institute, Peshawar
· NWFP Agriculture University, Peshawar
· University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
· University of Arid Agriculture, Rawalpindi
||MSc degree shall be awarded on submission of dissertation preferably based upon the original work.
||After completion of course work and thesis