Master of Education (MEd) Special Education is a professional qualification and mostly in-service teachers from special and mainstream schools join the program. The department imparts education and training to teachers for the special children in four specializations namely Visual Impairment, Hearing Impairment, Physical Disabilities and Mental Retardation with particular emphasis to facilitate mainstreaming of special children. The program provides students with a wisdom of knowledge and extent of expertise in educating and training of the students with disabilities required of an expert teacher or an advanced service provider. Typically, individuals who enroll in this program are eligible to work as classroom teachers or related service providers to the students with disabilities. The students enrolled in the program, experience a depth of knowledge and breadth of skill. These experiences help them a lot to deal with the children with special needs in the public and private schools or in the other similar learning environments.
BA/BSc/14 years of education in equivalence and BEd/BS Ed (2nd Division or equivalent).
All eligible candidates will be granted admission subject to fulfillment of the eligibility criteria.
Medium of Instruction
The university allocates the tutors for the guidance of the students and connect them with the students through online AAGHI portal of the university. The assignment submission and evaluation has been conducted through the same AAGHI portal. A student must secure passing marks in Assignments as well as in final exams to successfully complete the educational programme.
AIOU Credits Required
- Semester: 1
- Semester: 2
1. Educational Psychology-671
2. Perspectives of Special Education, CC672
3. Handicapped Person in the Community, CC673
4. Foundation of Education, CC831
5. Educational Research, CC837
6. Curriculum Development and Instruction, CC838
1. Face-to-Face Component (Workshop, Teaching Practice, Final Lesson), CC3600
2. Teaching Strategies, CC846
3. Specialization Courses
Specialization of Visual Impairment
1. Braille Practical Course (English)-I, CC3601
2. Braille Practical Course (Urdu)-II, CC3602
3. Independence Training for the Visually Handicapped, CC677
4. Special Education for the Visually Handicapped, CC678
Specialization of Hearing Impairment
1. General Introduction to the Hearing Impairment, CC680
2. Psychology of Deafness and Child Development, CC681
3. Speech and Hearing, CC682
4. Audiology and Audiometry, CC683
Specialization of Mental Retardation
1. Introduction and Assessment of Mentally Retarded Children-I, CC3603
2. Introduction and Assessment of Mentally Retarded Children-II, CC3604
3. Education of the Mentally Retarded Child-I, CC3605
4. Education of the Mentally Retarded Child-II, CC3606
Specialization of Physical Disabilities
1. Physical Handicaps-I, CC3607
2. Physical Handicaps-II, CC3608
3. Educational Adaptation for Children with Physical Disabilities-I, CC3609
4. Educational Adaptation for Children with Physical Disabilities-II, CC3610
A three day workshop for each course is conducted face to face along with Quiz.