The Department of Quran and Tafseer was established in 1999 with the establishment of Faculty of Arabic and Islamic Studies. The Department started its function in February, 2001.
The Department of Quran and Tafseer offers graduate and post graduate programs i.e. BS, MA, MPhil and PhD with the specialization in Qur'an and Tafseer and undergraduate programs from Matriculation to Intermediate. The courses/guidelines/scheme of studies have been compiled and being provided to students at all levels. From its commencement, the Department has developed valuable course books and materials as it has produced remarkable scholars and researchers of various backgrounds in the field of Qur'an and Tafseer.
- to provide the opportunities to the researchers and learners in the field of the Qur'an and its sciences;
- to develop courses related to the Holy Qur'an, Exegeses and its sciences; to equip the students with profound understanding of the Holy Qur'an in line with the modern and contemporary issues;
- to teach the translation and tafseer of the Holy Qur'an from Matric to PhD levels using effective and innovative methods of teaching and learning;
- to organize conferences, seminars and workshops on national and international levels so that the researchers have opportunities to explore their ideas and views and contribute in the fields of the Holy Qur'an and Tafseer;
- to preserve the classical exegetical and manuscript work through research and critical analysis;
With the continuation of ongoing programs and events, the Department aims to:
- launch a six-month certificate course in Tajweed and Qirat;
- initiate a project of the Translation of the Holy Qur'an in Urdu language;
- bring out a biannual research journal of the Qur'anic studies;
- organize international conference and seminar on annual basis;