The department was established in 1999 with the establishment of Faculty of Arabic & Islamic Studies as a department of Islamic Law & Fiqh. In 2017 with the approval of Statutory bodies of the university, the department was renamed as department of Shariah (Islamic Law & Jurisprudence) based on launching of programs in the field of Shariah.
The department was established in the year 1999, under the nomenclature of "The Department of Islamic Law & Fiqh. The Department prepared various courses/projects/schemes of studies for the students of Matric, FA, BA, BS, MA, MS/LLM/MPhil and PhD relating to Islamic Studies in general & Shariah in particular.
The Department of Islamic Law has been established:
- to teach Islamic Law & Shariah from Matric to PhD levels as per contemporary requirements.
- to conduct advance research on the different aspects of Shariah.
- to protect Islamic heritage with the help of modern research tools and techniques.
- to play leading role in interpretation of Shariah according to the needs of contemporary Pakistani society.
- to prepare scholars and professionals in Shariah who have command over the different areas of specialization in different fields of Shariah.
- establish a cadre of specialists and professionals’ experts in different fields of Shariah who can provide effective leadership in guiding and conducting quality research in various branches of Shariah.
- to provide opportunity of professional growth and development to the scholars of Shariah in general and in service personals.
- develop linkage between different highly reputed institutions of Islamic learning in general and institutions of Muslim world.
- create interfaith harmony and environment of dialogue between Islamic and other civilizations.
- Teaching from Metric to PhD Levels.
- Research at BS, MA, MS and PhD levels.
- Conferences and Seminars
- Academic workshops
The department aims to introduce some new programs of PhD Shariah & new research journals in future as well. Other major activities of the department include conduct of national & international seminars, conferences symposium & workshops.