The Department of Arabic Language & Literature is one of the pioneer departments of the University. It was created right after the establishment of Allama Iqbal Open Univeristy in 1974.
The Department of Arabic Language & Literature is the pioneer department which has been teaching by radio & television programmes since 1975. Arabic Department & AIOu was introduced by Pakistani masses by its very first effort & most popular programme named: العربی سھل. It was making its broadcasting & non broadcasting programmes from 1975 to year 2000.Decades have passed & presently it is running several programs i.e; MPhil in Arabic Language and Literature, Masters in Arabic Language and Literature, Lughat-ul-Quraan, ATTC and B.Ed. in Arabic, as well as Matric, Intermediate, Bachelor's level Arabic Courses are introduced by the department Since 1974. AIOU has credit of launching Arabic Teachers Training Programme (ATTC)in 1882, which is the pioneer programme of Pakistan in Teaching Arabic Language. However, BS (4 years) and other Arabic learning programs have also been launched from Autumn 2019. The courses of MA Arabic were also designed before with an emphasis on Arabic language & literature, social and economic thoughts along with religious education. Research in Arabic language and literature is a regular feature of the Department since 2012. MPhil program in Arabic language and literature has also been started since 2012 to produce scholars and researchers in Arabic literature. The department is offering a wide range of courses in Arabic language from Matric to MA, ATTC, SHORT ARABIC Courses and MPhil Level.
- Promotion and advanced studies in Arabic language & literature.
- To be aware of the language and style of the Holy Quran.
- Get acquainted with old Arabic poetry literature and modern poetry literature and its attributes.
- To understand the Arabic alphabets & sounds, to distinguish and pronounce all Arabic sounds and write them accurately.
- Be familiar with some of the differences between formal and spoken Arabic.
• Research Journal (Journal of Arabic Research)
• Collaboration with the other Universities
• International Seminar, Symposium & Conferences
• Provision of Course Material/ Instructional material
• Internet availability
• Well-equipped Main Library has a large collection of Arabic literature and related books (Library 7 days a week)
• Access to HEC Digital Library
• Online Classes through University LMS
• Workshops/ online workshops
• Viva voce exams both face to face & online
• Face to face teaching
• Research Guidance, supervision
• Teacher students meeting
• Study Tours
• Academic Coordination
• Students/scholars of Arabic can easily access and download soft copies of their relevant study materials, books for different programs of Arabic, from AIOU website link; https://aiou.edu.pk/books
Several Arabic Courses:
- Foundation Arabic Course
- Diploma in Arabic
- Arabic Online Course