The Department of English at Allama Iqbal Open University being one of the oldest in the country was established in 1974 within the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities.
Well-established and well-organized, Department of English has thus far successfully awarded more than 100,000 Diploma TEFL & MA TEFL degrees to students all across Pakistan since its inception. Over the years, the Department has enjoyed excellent repute in MA TEFL with an enormous yearly enrollment of 2000 scholars, which remains unparalleled in the higher education scenario in Pakistan. An excellent team of highly qualified and dedicated faculty strives to provide optimal motivation to students for building a collective consciousness through fostering responsible, empathetic, intellectual, creative individuals and critical thinkers with an enhanced awareness of not only the academic realm but also towards a positive contribution to society. The Department of English AIOU is now forging new associations with the Higher Education Commission to team up in research enhancement on national level and various international research organizations to collaborate on a wide array of areas ranging from student exchange and teaching partnerships to joint research projects across the globe.
The Department currently offers five programmes: one-year Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) in Teaching of English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), two year Master of Arts (MA) in Teaching of English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), four-year BS degree programme in English, and prestigious programmes of MPhil in English (Linguistics & Literature) and PhD in English Linguistics which were offered due to high demand and popularity of the higher degree programmes of English in the market.These programmes were respectively initiated in 1985, 1988, 2019 and 2020. It is a unique pride of the Department that it not only initiated specific courses for the training of English language teachers for the first time in the country but also introduced its prestigious one-year Diploma TEFL and Diploma TEFL Teaching of English as an International Language in collaboration with the University Grants Commission (UGC), now HEC, Government of Pakistan in 1980s.
PhD English Coordinator 0519576550 / 0519576551
MPhil English Coordinator 0519576573 / 0519576551
BS English Coordinator 0519576576
MA TEFL Thesis Coordinator 0519576595
PGD TEFL/MA TEFL Coordinator 0519576575 / 0519576595
- To provide easy access to learning through distance training programmes.
- To enhance awareness of English language skills and teaching practices.
- To demonstrate knowledge of theoretical aspect of Literature, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics.
- To help develop critical thinking and enhance analytical abilities.
- To train students in current research methods to help them initiate specialized research
Department of English offers the facility of a well-equipped Resource Centre with state-of-the-art multimedia and support staff for holding lectures, seminars, workshops and conferences, viva voce exams, both face to face and online.
- To introduce new short-term language course, ESP courses for the faculties of Sciences, Educational and Islamic Studies, and PhD English (literature)
- To initiate work on research journal / seminar series / conferences in the field of English language, linguistics, and literature.
- To offer courses through blended learning which would help in capturing international market, especially the Middle East and the central-Asian states.
- To revise existing TEFL courses by incorporating modern teaching & research trends, techniques, and methodology.
- To offer English language courses to national and international students at the main campus by establishing an English Language Centre for short term language courses.