Faculty of education recognized the need for promotion of science education and established Department of Science Education on 1988. Initially department worked on different science education programs and produced competent teachers for the country. At present the programmes and courses of the department are mainly focused on education and training of science and mathematics teachers. Presently, the department offers specialized courses in science education at different levels. Specialized courses provide conceptual framework and insight into the teaching of science. The department also offers BEd (4Years), BEd (2.5 Years), BEd (2ADE+ 2 Years), Specialization of Science Education in BEd (1.5Years) MEd, MPhil and PhD programs in Science Education. Department has so far produced a great manyPhDs, MPhil, MEd and BEd graduates who are serving in education departments of the country and abroad.
The department aims to:
- supply competent science teachers to education department that will consequently enhance learners understanding of science and mathematics.
- provide work-based exposure to prospective teachers of science education.
- provide hands on works and field experience to prospective teachers through self-regulated learning environment.
- develop research competence of master’s level students with the aim that they will be capable to conduct research and solve their immediate problems in teaching and learning process.
- equip PhD graduates with knowledge and skill of discipline and research, so that they may produce context-based solutions of the educational problems and add to literature.
- contribute in national development through production of teaching work force for optimization of talent of Pakistani science students.
- Purposefully built campus at the heart of Islamabad and regional network of 54 centres across country
- Competent Faculty for teaching of courses
- Experienced researchers to supervise research
- Opportunities for online learning and guidance
- Opportunities for face-to-face learning and discussions
- Digital resources like books and journals
- Well equipped library and main campus
Department has planned to launch Post Graduate Diploma in Medical Education. It aims to develop research and teaching skills of medical professionals. Also Discipline of Mathematics Education for MPhil and PhD is also in the process of approvals in Statutory Bodies of AIOU.